Monday, April 21, 2008

I Made It!



The last couple days have been a bit crazy...I don't even know where to start. Lets start with last week. I was pretty sick last week and so was Jenna. By mid-week I was thinking I was really on the mend. I woke up Friday morning to my throat feeling sand paper had been ground into it all night. My head was already starting to hurt from sinus pressure...of course I do what any normal wife would do...I call to complain to Scott. "I don't know (sob, sob, sob) what to do. (sob, sob, sob). The girls are sick, I hurt (sob, sob)." Scott - "I'll tell you what you're going to do, get dressed, put the girls in the car, drive them to me and you are going to Utah...You'll be fine!" Me - "Okay." So, away we went. I dropped the girls off at work with Scott and my friend Pat and I headed to Salt Lake. We made a brief stop in St. George and headed north. By the time I got to Sandy, where we were staying with mom and dad's friend, my sinuses were pretty much a disaster. We went to bed early because we had to be up at 4:30 Utah time, that would be 3:30 for me, to make it to the race on time. Saturday morning came and really I didn't feel too bad. My head was a bit in pain but nothing like yesterday or today. In any case I decided I could run my Half Marathon! I've been preparing for months for this! No little head cold was going to keep me down. We picked up Bryce and Havilah and Amelia and then they all dropped Bryce and I off at the Trax to take to the start of the race. The race went pretty well. I tried to run a little faster at about mile 8 but found myself coughing uncontrollably. I had to take these little breaths to recover. So, going faster was NOT an option. However at the end of it I had actually achieved my goals. 1. I ran the whole way, no walking! 2. My goal was 2 hours 30 min, I did 2 hours 31. Not too bad.
I was able to see my friend Jenn, who had a GREAT race, and her family after which was really fun. I hardly was in the mood to celebrate. By this time my head was hurting... Mom and dad were antsy to get on the road so headed out. Bryce, Havilah, Pat and I all went to lunch and ate a LOT! Then I went and got my hair done - boy was that great! After that Pat and I went up to find President Hinckley's grave. You'll never guess but it is 20 feet from GGSmiths! Now I can always find them because the Hinckleys is just a little more noticable. Pat and I relaxed with Aunt Ellen and headed home on Sunday. By Sunday morning I had no voice and was ready to decapitate myself. Thankfully Herb saved the day! (Get it?) I had a prescription ready to go when I got home. I have a sinus infection and one if not two ear infections. So you ask..was it worth it? YES!!! I'm just starting to feel better this afternoon and once my voice comes back I will really be able to celebrate!!!
For more photos go here:
I think it was too big to put in....

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Way to go Elizabeth! I can't believe that you did it, being sick is no fun and then running. You are amazing! Congratulations!

Shawna said...

Wow, what an accomplishment! You're awesome. I hope you can kiss that cold goodbye soon.

Janna Bell said...

That's so awesome. I wish I was in good enough shape to do something like that. What a cool thing to say you've done!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Thanks for a really fun weekend. Great slide show. Maybe it means more to me because I was there. I am glad that the url at least works. Once again,
way to go!
good job!
you go girl!
runners rock!
Congratulations on completing a goal you set for yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

mtduckgirl said...

You have been tagged, my dear. I am so happy that you were able to run! What an accomplishment especially since you were sick!
http://mtduckgirl.blogspot.com/