Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wal-Mart - the great Equilizer

Some days are better than others but there is always one place you can go and feel good about yourself...Wal-Mart. My friend pointed out in a blog that no matter how you feel there will always be someone at Wal-Mart who is heavier, poorer or more tired than you are. I felt the effects of this last week when driving home from the gym Eliza told me she didn't want to go home. There we were in the car, me dripping sweat, in my shorts, face bright red trying to come up with some diversion for her. Hmm, I needed to go to Deseret Book - no I didn't have the right clothes on. Post Office - I'd be a little too cold from the sweat standing in line. Drop in on a friend? Little too stinky for that. Ah-hah! Wal-Mart! I could go to Wal-Mart and fit right in. No need to feel ashamed there!
I have another friend who years ago pointed out her annoyance by having to show her receipt at the door of Costco and Sams. I've never really thought about it...10 items, not bagged, give it a quick count and I am on my way. Sure its annoying, but whatever. Today however, I was stopped by a lady who barely spoke English at the door of WAL-MART!!! Hello! There are 18 bags, two kids and a purse and you want me to pull my receipt out so you can draw on it? Yup, that is all she did. I'm sure it made her feel important but I was deeply disturbed. Upon leaving Wal-Mart I felt better before getting to my car. There was an older gentleman walking into the store with his comb-over standing straight up in the wind. It made me smile inside and life is in order again. Thanks Wal-Mart!

1 comment:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I agree completely. Wal Mart is always good for either smiling or frustrations.