Sunday, January 10, 2010

My New Obsession

Mom and dad were here for Christmas and with them they brought my grandpa's life story. I have had more fun reading about his life in the last couple of weeks. It has been a nice break to see what they really lived like. He had so many adventures and I'm just shocked at some that I have read. Like...when he was 11 he went on a 180 mile train ride and spent the week in someones home for a school activity! Can you imagine? I was also amazed that moving from northern Utah to Drummond Montana took 4 days! I didn't even think about the freeways not being there! How little I know. I wish there was a little more about car adventures because I find them quite amusing for someone else to have car issues...the number of flat tires, mud holes, dirt roads, and mountains is simply amazing to read about. I also enjoyed the story of how his girlfriend, someday to become his wife, played a huge joke on their friends by faking their breakup for a few weeks. They learned who were their real friends and were much closer after the episode. Very cute. Anyway, now I spend at least a few minutes every day learning about my Grandpa Hill. I'm so glad he left this book to read!

3 comments:

Havilah said...

We've enjoyed reading about his adventures too. What a treasure!

Eliza said...

What a wonderful blessing to have a record of his life.

Halls Family said...

Oooh, I want to read some of those entries! I wonder if my parents have a copy of the book. I will have to look into that!