Sunday, September 21, 2008

Why? What?

So Eliza has entered a new phase in her life. She just turned four. I had no idea this could be interpreted as the "why" stage. This is how a conversation with her goes:
Eliza: Where are we going?
Me: To the gym.
Eliza: Why are we going to the gym?
Me: Because I like to go exercise.
Eliza: Why do you like to exercise?
Me: Because it helps me stay healthy.
Eliza: Why does it help you stay healthy?
Me: Because it keeps my heart good.
Eliza: Why does it keep your heart good?
Me: So I can be your mommy longer. Do you want me to be your mommy?
Eliza: Why are you my momm?
Me: Who would you like to be your mommy?
Eliza: You.
Me: Good.

I really have no idea how to stop these conversations. They pop up everywhere... going to the bathroom, going to the store, gym, park, dance class... you name it there are at least 20 associated "why" questions attached to that point in time. I surely miss those days when the question was what! I would give my single answer and conversation over.

Eliza: Mom, what is that?
Me: It is a dead bug.

Now the conversation may start like that but finished totally differently.

Eliza: Mom, what is that?
Me: It is a dead bug.
Eliza: Why is the bug dead?
Me: It just died.
Eliza: Why did it die?
Me: It didn't want to be in our house.
Eliza: Why didn't it want to be in our house?
Me: Because we have a dog.
Eliza: Does Maggie like bugs?
Me: Just to play with them.
Eliza: Why does Maggie like to play with them?
Me: Because she can't do anything else with them
..... I promise you I could go on... So perhaps I don't need the questions to change to WHAT, just my attitude. What? Oh, here is my favorite series on What.

Eliza: Where are we going?
Me: To the gym.
Eliza: Then what?
Me: To the store.
Eliza: Then what?
Me: To the park.
Eliza: Then what?
Me: Home.
Eliza: I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME. I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME!!!

Yup, some deprived child. She is a sweet little girl and is learning so much and just fun to have around. I just need a book of answers to all the questions. Anybody?

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Lana turns 5 on Monday and she still is asking nonstop why questions. Kyle still thinks his parents as all the answers and asked nonstop questions about things I have no idea about...no end in sight.

I finally started telling them mom needs some quiet time, she is in time out, do not bother. It works for about 5 minuets

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I got nothing. I can remember this stage even with my little brother and sisters. I think I may have had more patience what I was a teenager, but probly not.

Shawna great idea of being in time out, I am sure those five minutes are priceless.

Eliza said...

I'm right there with ya sister! Mostly I say, "Wait for Dad to come home and then ask him!" Since Scott isn't home that much right now, this strategy might not work for you. Maybe you should put a cd on in the car and then she can just listen for a while and when at home I'm all for a Mommy Time Out!