Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Menu Plan

Lately I have had a few challenges. I've been working on losing my last few pounds for WW and living on our food storage. It has been quite fun and I have learned a lot. I'm trying to find the balance between spending and saving and what is worth it and what isn't. I have been keeping a journal of the experience but don't know if its worth posting because I don't know that people really want to hear about that. But I can report that in the last 9 weeks I've spent about $300 on food. That includes a HUGE restocking of chicken when it went on sale but does NOT include some long term storage that will last a lifetime...don't know where to put that. Anyway, I don't know what to think about all of it but I am using the things in my house on a more regular basis. I haven't bought bread since the beginning of the year and didn't run out of chicken for 2 full months...


Well, I have wanted to get a better grip on my menu planning. It makes life a bit easier just to know what I need to cook for dinner. It also helps me keep on track better for WW. The better I plan the better I eat! Duh. I have a few obstacles with my menu planning.



  1. I'm lazy

  2. I don't take the time to think things through

  3. It's a pain!

  4. Who knows what I'll have in the house

  5. What if I don't want it that day?

I just have to push past my first obstacle... #2...last week when I sat down to do this I didn't take into consideration certain things like


a) fast Sunday - a simple sandwich isn't going to cut it


b) am I having company this month?


c) are there nights I am too busy to cook and want something SUPER fast


#3...once again - I need to get over this


#4...I realized that I eat a LOT of the same things, especially since I'm living on my food storage and the staples are all the same. Really all my variety comes from veggies. Usually I just buy what's on sale so this is an easy fix too.


#5...I'm able to change the calendar! I don't HAVE to fix what's there! I'm the MOM!!!


Now the freedom of having a calendar!


I have heard of people doing a month at a time...which I have tried but I really do make the same things over and over. This is my solution. I made 7 weeks of meals which can be rotated to suit my mood. At any time I can add a new week... So the "month" calendar has Velcro on the front which my "weeks" stick to. I did spend quite a bit of time making sure that the meals were "balanced" throughout the week.

This was my thought process:

  • Sundays I cook a bigger meal because Scott is home and I have the time now that church is in the morning.
  • Monday is quick and super easy because we have dance at night and Scott isn't home. I really cook a lot lighter on nights when he's not home
  • Tuesday and Wednesday could be interchangeable
  • Thursday Scott is home for dinner so I put in a bit more effort
  • Friday we have salad and eat our leftovers. I like my salad night because I weigh in on Saturday morning so it keeps me eating a salad and the family full.
  • Saturday I like to BBQ since Scott likes to help with dinner.

Then I went through and made sure I didn't have too many "chickens" in a row. We don't eat a lot of red meat so I only put that on once a week. I tried to incorporate a few cheaper meals like soups and potatoes. Now I feel like my weeks are pretty balanced. I'm excited to see how it works out!

The last thought I've had about this is that I really do enjoy trying new recipes. I have learned though that this is can be expensive. I've decided that I will only try new ones every once in a while and wait until the ingredients go on sale.

4 comments:

JaNan Brown said...

I am so with you on the meal planning. I am definately #1 and #2. And I can't seem to get over it.
Anyways, your family is so cute. thanks for sharing

Halls Family said...

Oh if I were as organized as you!! I can't tell you how many times I have tried to plan meals for the week and I usually get to day 1. Life happens or my husband comes home and says, "Let's just have fun tonight and eat cereal or burritos." I love him for this, but it definitely is a killer on the WW thing. I have learned to eat a salad or chicken or something healthy on those nights. Good luck with your planning, I'm sure it will make your life sooo much easier. And like they say, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" :) Keep up the good work. I love to hear others who use their food storage...it really does save money! Have you ever couponed? That is how I stock up on my food storage (besides the staples rice, wheat, etc) and save a ton of money.

Anonymous said...

Love it Liz! You are inspiration.

Sara (ken's sara)

Eliza said...

Really impressive!