Monday, April 9, 2012

How much?

I'm sure this is a burning question for so many readers....but I had to figure this out...How many gallons of milk have I produced in being a mother of 4?

In a rough estimate I calculated a minimum of 271 gallons.

I nursed have been able to nurse all of my kids. Eliza...10 months, Jenna 9 months, James 10 months, and Logan currently almost 7. Depending on the age of the baby the milk supply goes up and down so I divided all schedules into two month increments, which is a little silly because it changes from day to day. On average a newborn eats more frequently but less volume and so on...

0-2 months/ 8 feedings a day/4 oz each
2-4 months/ 6 feedings a day/6 oz each
4-6 months/ 6 feedings a day/6 oz each
6-8 months/ 4 feedings a day/8 oz each (this may be a bit much but I have a tendency to not do as much solid food as I should, nursing is just way more convenient)
8-10 months / 3 feedings a day/8 oz each

I have nursed a couple of my kids a bit longer, but lets just stop at 10 months...don't want to over estimate this very precise calculation. None of this takes into consideration all the milk that flows freely the first couple of weeks after having a baby or any that may need to be pumped for relief...Just the stuff the baby actually eats!

In a normal 10 month cycle I produce about 9600 ounces of milk, or 75 gallons. Not all my babies nursed that long and I am currently still nursing number 4.

Eliza = 75 gallons
Jenna = 65 gallons
James = 75 gallons
Logan = 56 gallons

(I knew my math degree would come in handy!!!!)

2 comments:

The Junior Maxwells said...

Now multiply that by $3/gallon... haha! Way to go!!!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I am very impressed. You truly are the Dairy Queen. And how did you know that I had this burning question?