Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Gentle Heart Thinker

Last night I thought I was being such a good mom. I sang the girls a couple bed time songs. I was much better at that with just Eliza but last night was fun. I decided to sing one I used to sing to Eliza every night. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray, you'll never know dear how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away." I went downstairs and a few minutes later she comes crying down the stairs. She said he had a nightmare. Was she even asleep? So, thankfully dad came walking in and saved the day. He took the girls to bed. After he comes and asks me if I sung her a new song. I told him what song it was. Eliza was scared someone was going to come and take her away. Poor little thing! But really what 5 year old can make logical connections like that. I felt bad for her but then got a little impressed that she even made a connection. I have thought about some of those lullabies before... tree tops breaking, down will come baby, ring around the rosy, ashes, ashes.... I'll have to be a little more selective in my nighttime music!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I think that's why I stick to singing primary songs. No nightmares about popcorn popping.

Smart Helm said...

That is so funny. You do have a smart kid. I don't remember realizing what those songs really meant until I was in high school.

Sometimes my middle name is more of a suggestion :-)

Laura Leavitt said...

hey...what is your email so I can invite you to my private bloy? It is open right now..but I am making it private again in a few days.

www.leavittstory.blogspot.com