Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Peaches Peaches Peaches Pickles

My parents came down this last weekend and brought 4 boxes of peaches and half a bushel of cucumbers for me! Oh the joy! They also brought a bunch more peaches, like 14 boxes, for friends. What great parents! Even though their stay was short we accomplished a lot. They got in Saturday evening... we just hung out and distributed the peaches. Sunday was full of fun things...Like Eliza's 5th birthday!

I spent the morning decorating her cake, making a peach pie for the grown ups. We were pretty spoiled!


Monday mom and I did 35 quarts of peaches, froze 2 bags of peaches, 2 batches of peach jam, 13 quarts dill pickles and 8 quarts sweet pickles.


When I say we... let me explain that mom did most of the work. I kind of felt like the manager while she cut peaches. She would get a set in the processor and then ask what else I wanted as she kept cutting. So we froze them, jammed them...whatever we could. My mom is a HARD worker! We our last batch of peaches was in the water within 4 hours of starting! She is amazing. It also helped that dad entertained the kids and ran to the store when we needed!

So we will enjoy these for the rest of the year and hope they come down to help next year!

6 comments:

Eliza said...

You always do the cutest cakes! Happy Birthday Eliza!

Your peaches look gorgeous! Are pickles hard to do? I've been wanting to do them. I got a pressure cooker this summer, so now I feel like I can do even more canning, but haven't yet...

Allison Barnes said...

yum! those peaches look delicious. I haven't canned like that since I moved here... I miss all that fresh fruit!

Smart Helm said...

Wow! I am way impressed!

My friend Melissa had some of those Utah peaches and she gave me some. They were soooo good.

Liv said...

Tell your mom she can come visit me for 4 hours any time.

Jen Barnes said...

Happy birthday Eliza! 5 years ago we were in our wonderful water aerobics class with no kids to worry about. Now, 3 kids for each of us! Crazy how time goes by.
Beautiful peaches!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth
I enjoying seeing all the great picures and reading the wonderful stories about your family.
God Bless you
Linda Allred