Thursday, April 30, 2009

What Can I Say... I'm Trying

So I decided it was time...time to take control. Scott was in full support a few months ago when I decided I would join Weight Watchers after I had James. I had planned on waiting until Scott was out of school but good grief - enough fat already. I joined two weeks ago... It is a really good program. One really hard part for me is that I really enjoy baking. The best time for me to do it is in the afternoon when I'm not in a hurry. I love trying new recipes and sharing them with Scott. But, Scott isn't around in the afternoon, so I felt obligated to eat most of it. This habit had to stop. I have gone from baking all sorts of sweets in the afternoon to cleaning and scrubbing more. My scrapbook is actually caught up through James' blessing and my desk is 80% clean (I'm sure the other 20% will never be clean!). I have stopped a lot of bad habits and replaced them with better ones. I have learned good eating habits and portions! It's a great help for me and I have really enjoyed it. However, Scott threw a wrench into the plan.
We have lived without cable for almost two years. As a reward for surviving the year of school Scott decided to sign up for the summer months so he can relax a bit more. I'm not particularly thrilled about the idea but he doesn't ask for too much so we got it. Now, one channel that I have always loved is the food channel. I love watching the cooks throw together meals so quickly with a smile on their face. I'd like to see them do it so cheerfully with three kids...that's beside the point. I do love getting ideas from them though. However, the problem is I can't make 90% of the recipes any more. Paula Dean is a frightening thing to watch with my new perspective. "Just add another stick of butter!" "Here's a glob of mayonnaise...stir in a bit of melted butter...pour it over some pasta...top with cheese!" Good grief! I could eat all my "points" in one meal with her around.
Now I watch the food network with new understanding...those meals are for special occasions. I still love to bake and just hope to do it less frequently with better recipes when I do. Hopefully the whole plan will have positive affects.

7 comments:

Nelson & Valerie Cluff said...

Hey, I do weight watchers after each kids, I love it! It works amazingly. skinny cow ice cream sandwiches...amazing! 2 pts and huge. :) You do have to stop baking though.....I always just go cold turkey on the baking! :( Just think, once you get where you want to be, you can maintain and bake again. :) jello pudding cups...sugar free...1 pt. :) if you need more ideas....let me know. :)

mtduckgirl said...

Wow, Liz, you come by the baking naturally. Don't get rid of it completely... I have some fond memories of baking with you...but I'm glad you are doing well with weight watchers. I wish they had a Stuff Watchers - I'd join that in a heart beat, then maybe I could get rid of some of my oh so valuable treasures and throw away papers that are now taking over one wall of my room.... Do you think Paula Dean's "Just add a stick of butter!" would take care of that problem too??

Eliza said...

Good luck! You are a brave woman. I love my baked goods too much. I need to step it up at the gym to keep up with my eating. I know I should cut back on that, but..... More power to you!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks all...I'm actually really enjoying the whole process. I've only lost it once...but better than every day.
Karen...You just need to live closer to me! Just kidding. I'm bad too...getting worse too!

Kaarsten said...

Coming from a girl who had um animal crackers dipped in Nutella for breakfast, you are my hero! James is a hunk of burning love...so cute!

Kaarsten

Jen Barnes said...

You go girl! I have a bunch of really healthy recipes that we've been eating lately. We've been on this kick of cooking with lots of spices - some that I've never tried before. It's been very eye opening.

Unknown said...

Yeah for you! I joined WW for the first time after my last baby was born. It was good for me too, realizing that bean burritos and pizza really aren't that healthy! I should never listen to my husband when it comes to healthy eating :) Good luck and don't give up, no excuse is good enough. Once you stop, it is so hard to get started again!